Signs and Symptoms of an Anger Problem
Everybody gets angry. But, how do you know if your anger is a real concern? This questionnaire will help you assess your ability to cope with anger and determine whether or not anger management is a problem for you. Please read through each statement, recording the indicated number score for each yes or no response.
1. I am quick to forgive others who have harmed or offended me. (Yes = 0 points, no = 2 points)
2. It takes me a long time to get over being angry. (Yes = 2 points, no = 0 points)
3. I tend to overreact and get angry about little things. (Yes = 1 point, no = 0 points)
4. I have taken out my anger on undeserving others. (Yes = 2 points, no = 0 points)
5. I have retaliated with anger when another driver has cut me off or tailgated me. (Yes = 2 points, no = 0 points)
6. I have said malicious things about others to get back at them when I am angry. (Yes = 2 points, no = 0 points)
7. I remain angry or resentful about something(s) that happened years ago. (Yes = 2 points, no = 0 points)
8. I have an unresolved conflict with a friend or family member. (Yes = 1 point, no = 0 points)
9. I have an unresolved conflict with someone at work. (Yes = 1 points, no = 0 points)
10. When I am angry with someone, I am able to tell him or her why. (Yes = 0 points, no = 1 point)
11. When something happens that makes me angry, I tend to replay the event over and over again in my mind. (Yes = 2 points, no = 0 points)
12. When I am angry about something that happens at work, it affects me when I am home. (Yes = 1 point, no = 0 points)
13. I have someone I can talk to when I feel angry or frustrated. (Yes = 0 points, no = 1 point)
14. I often feel regret about how I express my anger. (Yes = 2 points, no = 0 points)
For your results, total your score. If your score is:
0 to 3 points: Congratulations! Your score indicates that you are coping well with anger. Keep doing what you are doing. But if you believe you need help, contacting Moments of Clarity is a good place to start.
4 to 13 points: Your score indicates that you may be harboring some resentment or have some difficulty in expressing your anger appropriately. Learning more about anger and the effects of stress will help you avoid problems now and in the future. If you are feeling overwhelmed by anger, contacting Moments of Clarity would be useful to you.
14 to 22 points: Your score indicates you are having a great deal of difficulty coping with your anger. Unresolved or pent-up anger always comes out inappropriately, causing harm to others, and increases stress in our life. High stress often results in a loss of perspective, overreaction to little things, and inappropriate venting on those we love. You could benefit from learning more about stress and managing anger. Please consider contacting Moments of Clarity as soon as possible.