Signs and Symptoms of Depression
1. Have you recently experienced a depressed mood (feeling sad or empty) most of the day, nearly every day? (Note: In children and adolescents, mood can appear more irritable than depressed.)
2. Have you recently experienced a loss of interest or pleasure in your usual activities?
3. Have you recently experienced significant weight gain or weight loss when not dieting? (Note: In children, consider failure to make expected weight gains.)
4. Have you recently experienced insomnia or other sleep disturbances?
5. Have you recently experienced either hyperactive (restless) behavior or slowed behavior, which is observable by others?
6. Have you recently felt fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day?
7. Have you recently experienced feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day?
8. Has your ability to think, concentrate, or make decisions been diminished nearly every day recently?
9. Have you recently experienced recurrent thoughts of death or suicide?
If you answered ‘yes’ to number 9, it is important that you seek help immediately. If you responded ‘yes’ to four or more of questions 1 – 8, it is likely you are suffering from depression and would benefit from therapy services.